Saturday, June 12, 2010

LET YOUR SOUL CLAP AND SING LOUD WITH JOY

REMEMBRANCES OF THINGS PAST - 1


“An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing, and louder sing
For every tatter in its mortal dress”

W.B. YEATS, Sailing to Byzantium

Wrote W.B. Yeats in his magnificent poem a few years before his death, lamenting what the world had become. The world is not any different even now! It is a case of History repeating itself.

Having reached a respectable age that qualifies calling myself “aged”, I look back on life like Jesting Pilate questioning everything I have seen, read, studied and been told. I do not claim to have had answers to every question of mine. Life has so many mysteries that every day is a new mysterious beginning of something beautiful if we have eyes to perceive. We all have eyes to see; but not all have eyes to perceive. It is essential to have eyes to perceive to grapple the mysteries of Life.

Having read Yeats fairly closely, I realize that I am paltry like all others have been PALTRY. All great writers, great scientists and great thinkers have been PALTRY for most of us because our SOULS have not clapped their hands and sung loudly to account for every tatter in our coat. In other words nobody understands the wisdom of sages who are too old to command respect amidst the younger generation caught up in its own dance and song. I am not condemning anyone, but only speaking the truth.

Moment of truth will arrive for all only when they are old and ripe with wisdom of life and age which they want to pass on to the future generation that is in turn caught up in its own song and dance that enthrall them as they progress through life blundering, hitting roadblocks and “fall upon the thorns of life”. Then they realize what their forebears were trying to tell them, feeble with age but ripe with wisdom. However this drama will go on endlessly and we like Tiersias shall helplessly watch it as T.S. Eliot wrote in THE WASTELAND.

"And I Tiresias have foresuffered all
Enacted on this same divan or bed;"

Great literature, great music, great art all shall be for the multitudes as “landscape to a blind man’s eye”. That is the price that humankind has had to pay for the dilution of standards and interest due to rapid industrialization and advance in scientific inventions. However all great Literature and other Arts are available at hand in libraries and museums when our soul wearied with existence searches for oases of meaning and relaxation.

It is only as we near the end of our earthly existence and are about to shuffle off our “mortal coil” that we are able to understand faintly the meaning of existence and the value of each tatter in our coat. That is also the stage when we look for the Byzantium that we never bothered about previously and which shall still elude us as we do not have the means to seek it out, let alone reach it.

15 comments:

  1. Dad,

    You took me years back, to the era when I was in my SYBA. These two poems mentioned by you were in my syllabus. I have a special attachment towards Wasteland, it was my nemesis(had todo a lot of reference work on it) but gradually I learnt to love it.

    Byzantium, I had nearly forgotten since last decade I haven't touch the work of these poets. I think its a long time since I was away from the world of poems and the time is ripe for me to make a comeback to this world. I really enjoyed reading the blog. I assure you I will be here as much as I can.

    Tanna Beti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nair Sir,
    The mind,if occupied always remains sharp even while the body becomes feeble.All are paltry as a child,but as they grow up,with experiences,knowledge,responsibilities and wisdom,some of them attain untouchable heights and supremacy in their field.

    With regards to existence,the mystery of existence ceases to be a mere conundrum.It definitely turns in to the fabric of life once you stop flummoxing over the question and start living your life and these words are not for any rhetorical effect.Life alters in to nothing,but it becomes colossally thrilling,at any moment you can feel the portentous drama simply by remembering that you exist.

    Sir,let me congratulate you on the excellent opening out here.It would be a treat for people like us and very pleasing to read your masterly written literary blogs out here.Keep blogging.Cheers and God bless all.

    Regards,
    Ketan Doshi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Nair Sir, nice to see your blog.

    Hope to learn more about literature and poetry through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. R L Stevenson opined - “The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean”

    I always wanted to read prose from your side. In fact, once requested you to come up with literary reviews. I am so happy to see you in blog space. Following you here is a matter of pride.

    You got an amazing capability to write what you mean. It is crystal clear and is appealing to mass.

    Age - I wonder, whether this factor got any importance in modern era! Before a few years, I was deputed to Thailand and Singapore with an important assignment and I started consuming lots of shell fish. I came back to Pune with alarming lipid profile and was advised to take anti cholesterol drugs for a while. I complained to my doctor "I am just 28 years old, how the hell I got this disease?"

    He asked me - What is your designation?
    I answered - Associate VP

    And what is the average age of Associate VPs of your company?

    I said - 45
    Then he smiled and said "During 40s, you are prone to have hypertension, cholesterol etc. You wanted to reach this position too early. And you lost work life balance. So, along with position, you got ailments too"

    I still remember his words! You need to balance. Today we are blessed with "information revolution". You need not require personal touch to connect with anyone across the globe.

    But again, you need to choose well!

    I am just reflecting my random thoughts after reading your post!

    And - everyone's memory is his private literature! Looking forward to read more from you!

    ~esoteric~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tanna Beti,

    Thank you for being the first to comment. Amused to read your adventures with poetry. Yes, Eliot is a tough nut to crack even for Professors of Poetry. However when you get used to him, he is a delight!

    I have always loved reading, discussing and writing poetry myself. It is a drab world without it and the other Arts. Poetry helps to maintain a balance in life. It is as Robert Frost said "a momentary stay against confusion"

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ketu,

    Very nice seeing you out here. Thank you for your visit and inputs. You know you have stated a few very significant things here in your comments. I shall be happy to see you here as a blogger.

    Nair

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deepak,

    Thank you for finding time to visit my blog. I am honored by your visit.

    NAIR

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sajit,

    Thank you for your kind words. I am glad my blog helped to open up a floodgate of memories that had been locked up. Yes, we need a balance in life to help us to live usefully and meaningfully.

    BTW, thank you for being the forerunner in this blog experiment. I just took a leaf out of your lead. I am still to get used to the format here. Guess I shall learn by and by.

    NAIR

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Mr Nair nice to know that you have entered blogsphere with a bang. I am in this sphere on a silent mode for obvious reasons. My best wishes for all your posts and musing. I am sure you will climb the ladder of success......with aplomb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Professor,

    Very beautiful post to start with. Really lovely. I am not that much into poetry reading, but do love to read specific pieces at times. Your blog kind of gave an insight into many things. Loved to read it. Do write more on the same topic so that younger people like us who are not possessing that much know how on these beautiful literary works, get to know more about them.

    Regards,
    Barnali

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your invitation, Prof. Nair. I am delighted to be here. As Barnali mentioned, though I am not a big fan of poetry, either, despite my receiving a goodly dose of it during my early years, I do appreciate your elegant musings. Thank you. Indeed, I will be back.

    Harry
    http://harry.cckerala.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Umesh,

    I am touched by your visit and good wishes. Thank you very much. God bless you.

    NAIR

    ReplyDelete
  13. Barnali,

    Thank you very much for your visit and words of praise and encouragement.

    I shall definitely keep in mind whatever you have suggested. I only hope my blogs will be of use to whosoever should choose to visit my blogs.

    Regards,

    NAIR

    ReplyDelete
  14. Harry,

    I am excited to find you here. Thanks for responding to the invitation. It is a great honor to have you here.

    I am glad you liked my post. I am really glad over your assurance to visit my blogs again.

    NAIR

    ReplyDelete
  15. uncle...
    i was putting my comments here yesterday but before it got posted, electricity power failed, and hence i was unable to get it posted...

    nice to find your blog,
    will surely visit in the free time as i love reading your poems and your articles....

    thanks, regards
    suraj

    http://lifeofkaran.blogspot.com
    surajonchrist@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete